Thursday, November 15, 2012

Crank it up! I'm getting fat.

I would have never planned writing this blog update from the hospital, but it just happened that I had to stay with my son in hospital overnight after his latest adventures in boyland in which he fractured his skull (with the help of another boy from school, but I won't go into details). Yesterday he was a bit nauseous and he had a headache, but today he is doing much better, so we may even be able to go home, but for the sake of safety, he will have to remain under close observation for 48h. I guess I will remain on mommy duty for the time being, so workouts will be put on hold.

As an update though, I've been itching to increase the volume again as I keep watching the numbers on my scale going up and up... It is not helping that I eat chocolate daily either, but it's hard to resist with so much stress around the office. I know, not good, and I am fully aware that I am being part of the problem. Better start doing something to counter attack sooner rather than later. I have been keeping up with my hot yoga classes on Mondays and I feel that I am getting stronger, which is pretty awesome. Finally, Chaturangas seem to be within reach, phew. Definitely not going to stop now, I bought a pass of 10 classes anyway and I will keep on going for as long as I can.

On Sunday it was a glorious day and we beat a 70 year temperature record with almost 18C instead of 8C. So we HAD to go on a bike ride, most likely the last of the season. We did our usual 1h out and back, then followed right away with a minimalist run for 20min. No issues there, had a bit of soreness in the calves, but did not run on Monday and Tuesday and the pain is now gone. Good calves!

On Tuesday we went out for a long walk, it was beautiful with all the fireworks around us for most of my neighborhood was celebrating Diwali. Plus, the weather was still cooperating, even though it had dropped back close to zero. After the walk, I decided to go for a swim as well, I couldn't wait to check out the new Cassie Campbell Community Centre and holy cow, that was one impressive building with 2 ice arenas, an indoor running track, huge gym and beautiful pool. I was impressed to say the least and I can't wait to go back, even though it's at the opposite side of the city. No biggie, the ride was just 15-20 min long, I can do this if I plan properly (my regular pool is closed for repairs until mid January).

So I did a random workout, a bit of this, a bit of that. Started with 100m warmup, then did 1000m pull (I have been using the fins too much and felt that my arms were getting lazy), followed by a 250 breast stroke, then as many speed intervals that I could in the remaining time, 50x8 with decreasing rest time. Total 1750m in about 43min of actual swim time, I had a pretty good night sleep after that.

I have been eager to go back for a run since the weekend, but I expect it not to be until tomorrow. If we go home tonight, I may be able to go to my swim class with the tri club... We shall see... Anyway, I think I am ready to tell my coach to CRANK IT UP. It's all fun and games until someone puts on too much weight and starts feeling lazy. That would be me. I think I need to hire some personal cheerleaders too.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so intrigued by hot yoga - I'm not a fan of heat at all, so I'm always wondering how that would go for me?! haha! I'll be honest, I took a couple of yoga classes in the past and I could never totally get into it!

    Thanks for weighing in on the friendship topic! You definitely understand having friends scattered around the world then. Since finishing up school, I've had a bit of an age range when it comes to friendships too - and I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you aren't a fan of heat, than it's definitely not for you. I actually quite enjoy running and exercising in the heat, so I'm ok with a room at 104F, but sometimes it's really hard to go through it, I almost passed out 2 weeks ago. The classes I usually take are not that advanced, mostly basic poses with emphasis on repetition and endurance. I also find that I enjoy Yoga classes when I like the teacher too, it makes a whole world of difference. I've been very lucky so far.

      Same here, I enjoy the different perspectives on life that I get from my friends, especially when we all grew up in different cultures. It's not always about "belonging", but sometimes our differences if what brings us together.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Hope your son is doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing just fine, we need to remind him every day that he has a crack on his head and that he stays put. So far so good, thanks for asking.

      Delete