Saturday, March 9, 2013

Easy recipes: Energy Bar

Earlier this week I went to the group spin class and coach shared with us a homemade energy bar, which for my taste, was really divine. Of course, I had to ask for the recipe and later that day, he emailed it to me (as below). The next day I also found this recipe on the Internet (here) and didn't feel like I was holding onto a secret anymore, so by popular demand, I decided to share it with you as well. It took me no longer than 15 minutes to make those bars, one came in handy today since I was starving at the end of my long 2h aerobic ride.


2/3 cup organic tahini spread
1/2  cup brown sugar (packed)
2/3 cup raw organic honey (or molasses) I use the solid kind of honey and pack it down into the measuring cup.
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups puffed rice cereal
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (shelled)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (shelled)
1 cup dried organic cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
Optional:  add in some chia seeds

In a large mixing bowl combine all dried ingredients (cereal, seeds and fruit) and set aside. In a skillet, mix the other ingredients and heat on medium until bubbling. Add the vanilla as the mixture starts to bubble. Stir constantly to avoid burning. Remove from heat.
Mix the hot sauce with the dry mixture until all the mixture is coated, then pour into a greased (oiled) 9 x 13 baking pan. Flatten out the combined mixture in the pan and cut into bars. Cover and put in fridge for an hour or so.
Remove from fridge, cut into bars again and place in freezer bags for storage.

Approx calories =  273 with 11.5 gms healthy fat, 7 gm protein and 41 gm carbohydrates. This depends on how many bars you cut the mixture into. The calories are based on 12 bars.

This makes a very nutritious snack, pre or post exercise nutrition bar. Obviously, you don’t want to eat several at a time or you’ll be getting too many calories. Feel free to alter the ingredients as you desire.

Enjoy!

Other recipes that I published on this blog:
Riri's Famous Banana Bread
Egg Whites Omelet

No comments:

Post a Comment